Journalistic Irresponsibility: Andanar Clarifies Duterte's Statement on Martial Law


MalacaƱang was quick to clarify supposed misinterpreted statements of President Rodrigo Duterte on declaring martial law over the weekend.



"The President has categorically said no to martial law. He even made a pronouncement saying that martial law did not improve the lives of the Filipinos," Communications Secretary Martin Andanar said.

"We therefore decry the latest misreporting that the President will declare martial law simply 'if he wants to' or that 'no one can stop the President from declaring martial law,'" Andanar added.

The Communications Secretary added: "Such headlines sow panic and confusion to many. We consider this kind of reportage as the height of journalistic irresponsibility."




Duterte: I Will Declare Martial Law if I Have To

President Duterte on Saturday said he won't hesitate to declare martial law if only to "preserve" the nation.

Speaking to the board members of the Davao City Chamber of Commerse, Duterte stressed that he is not to extend his term as a president, adding that even the Supreme Court or Congress can stop him if he decides to declare martial law.

According to Article VII, Section 18 of the 1987 Constitution, the President is required to submit a report to Congress within 48 hours after declaring Martial Law and Congress can revoke the proclamation through a joint-vote by the majority of its members.




"If I have to declare martial law, I will declare it. Not about invasion, insurrection. Not about danger. I will declare martial law to preserve my nation. Period. Wala akong pakialam diyan sa [I do not care about the] Supreme Court because the thing, the right to preserve one's life and my nation, my country, transcends, even everything else. Even the limitation," Duterte said.

"Kung gusto ko at [If i want to and] it will deteriorate into something really very virulent I will declare martial law if I wanted to. Walang makapigil sa akin [Nothing can stop me]," he added.





Source / Image: CNN Philippines

Share It To Your Friends!

Share to Facebook

Loading...